Another “brain-purge” blog post. Please please please do these things in this order or you will want to kill yourself. SCVMM’s pre-requisite check does a decent job at identifying certain things missing on the server, but it fails miserably at checking the things you can potentially waste a lot of time on. So here is a quick recap:
- If you’re installing this onto a VM, you should probably give it a good amount of RAM and at least 2 cores.
- Install .NET 3.5 first. You probably need to mount the server ISO and install from D:\Sources\sxs
- Restart the server. Just do it. Trust me.
- Install a version of SQL Server that isn’t Express. SCVMM won’t tell you this until halfway thru the install, so again, save yourself the time.
- Create an AD service account. I believe it has to be an actual User object, not one of those new-fangled “Managed Service Accounts” that debuted in Windows 7 + 2008 R2. Add it as a local admin to the SCVMM machine.
- Install SCVMM.
- Wait awhile.
More info here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/10/18/scvmm-2012-r2-quickstart-deployment-guide/